Monday, April 4, 2011

Apocalypse Now - 7 stars out of 10

Apocalypse Now - 7 stars out of 10

"The horror..." I may not have been crazy about Apocalypse Now but I definitely would not use this phrase to describe it. Perhaps I should have started with the original cut instead of the Redux, but Apocalypse Now just moved too slow and failed to grab my attention. I was expecting The Godfather in the form of a war movie but did not find the incredible story that I had hoped for. In fact, I spent most of the movie wishing that I could see Marlon Brando. This movie sports some classic characters, particularly Sheen, Hopper, Brando, and a VERY young "Larry Fishburne." The most enjoyable performance comes from Duvall. I certainly would not call this his best role but he deserved an Oscar nod and his performance is unforgettable. I will definitely watch this movie again someday but will try the original cut in hopes that it can capture my attention.

Addendum to my initial review after a second viewing:
The theatrical cut flows much better than the Redux. It still moves at a slow pace but more effectively paints a picture of Brando's character, buiding tension until he is discovered by taking less detours along the way. Although Brando's monologues are incredible at the end, everything just moves too slow. Jim Morrison's voice is perfect is a perfect choice for the opening and penultimate sequences of this film and the film score creates a delightfully creepy atmosphere. Although Martin Sheen's voiceovers are more poignant than Charlie Sheen's in Platoon, Apocalypse Now proves to be a Vietnam War movie that shows the horrors of war less effectively than the warm movies that follow (particularly Platoon).

No comments:

Post a Comment