Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Spoorloos (The Vanishing) (1988) - 8 stars out of 10

Spoorloos (The Vanishing) (1988) - 8 stars out of 10

I really enjoyed the storytelling technique of this film. Knowing the basic premise of the movie, you experience several instances of paranoia thinking "Is it going to happen now?" I enjoyed the performance of Gene Bervoets and, although the development of his relationship with Johanna ter Steege is very brief, the cute factor immediately drew my interest.  The one thing that I didn't buy was the kidnapper's obsession - he just didn't seem passionate about it. Perhaps his lack of emotion in scenes with his family was intentional, but overall it just seemed weak. The unconventional sequence of events kept me on edge and the ending was quite upsetting - definitely an above-average thriller.

For my review of the inferior American remake, see:http://jonnysdailymoviereview.blogspot.com/2012/04/vanishing-3-stars-out-of-10.html

No comments:

Post a Comment