Friday, June 10, 2011

I Saw the Devil - 4 stars out of 10

I Saw the Devil - 4 stars out of 10

"I Saw the Devil" is the story of a man who repeatedly hunts down and tortures a psychopath after the psychopath killed his fiance.  The first 20 minutes of this film were among the most disturbing that I've ever seen.  And it just gets worse throughout the course of the film.  I lost count of the number of times that I cringed around 15.  And then the cab scene?  I've never seen anything like that.  Ever.  And the doctor's office.  And the kitchen.  And the hallway head-bashing.  And the bathroom stall.  And the hospital bed.  Is there no end to the madness?  Apparently not, based on the most twisted ending ever.  I have never had a horror film single-handedly make every slasher film that I've ever seen look so tame.  This story of vengeance does contain excellent acting but... I can't recommend this film because it is so gory and violent that I wouldn't encourage anybody to fill their minds with that imagery.  I looked away several times and I rarely ever feel the need to divert my eyes.  Watch at your own risk (and I don't mean that in a challenging way.  I mean that in a "Don't say that I didn't warn you" way).

No comments:

Post a Comment