Friday, August 12, 2011

RoboCop (1987) - 6 stars out of 10

RoboCop (1987) - 6 stars out of 10

"Robocop" is a unique blend of sci-fi and action, pushing the boundaries of gore and violence (noted by its initial "X" rating).  It's interesting how similar the dystopian future looks to the year 1987.  I know that when this film came out everything looked futuristic but 24 years later, it is definitely dated (whereas a film like Star Wars still looks futuristic).  It isn't my favorite hero film but it had some great moments.  I was impressed with some of the make-up effects, particularly once the helmet comes off and of course the toxic waste.  The other special effects left something to be desired, particularly the ED-209, but I'm sure that it was great in its time.  Overall, I enjoyed all of the actors.  Ronny Cox annoyed me sometimes, but I believe that was by design to make you hate him even more.  Robert DoQui and Miguel Ferrer are always awesome, but most importantly the entire cast had good chemistry.  Although I would prefer to watch Batman or Zorro, I acknowledge that Robocop is a pretty cool character (as opposed to my long-term expectation that he would be a dork) and I would watch this film again (while avoiding the sequels forever).

No comments:

Post a Comment