Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Drive - 1 star out of 10

Drive - 1 star out of 10
550th Review

"Drive" is a flat tire on the side of the cinematic road.  I HATED the style of the film as it was simply non-emotional and inherently boring.  Take the motonous, low-energy musical score for example.  It didn't really go anywhere, just annoyingly hovering in the background until it almost became ambient noise with an ominous quality and making me feel like I was sitting in a room being forced to watch a bad film.  I did not develop a single feeling of sympathy, anger, compassion, or annoyance for any of the characters in the film.  I typically love Carey Mulligan but her character didn't do much.  Come to think of it, none of the characters really seemed to do anything.  I sat through that for 100 minutes and I don't feel like I got to know a single character. They're all just static pawns in a game of chess (and you know how interesting chess is to watch on tv).  Watching this movie must be what it feels like to be in limbo - caught in a boring moment and wishing that time would pass by faster.  And what was the point of all the graphic mutilation of humans?  This is gore for gore’' sake - it has no bearing on the film.  I love a good thriller but "Drive" didn't possess any thrills.  I know that the critics loved this mess, but "Drive" left such an insignificant impression on me that I will have forgotten that this film even exists a few minutes from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment