Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Last Song - 3 stars out of 10

The Last Song - 3 stars out of 10

I couldn't have cared less about this love story (or the first 75 minutes of this film, for that matter).  Miley Cyrus's laugh is like nails on a chalkboard.  And that voice... how can you like a character that sounds like a goose sliding over a cheese grater?  I don't understand how two characters could fall in love after two dates or why her love interest had to have his shirt off so much.  But then, as the story takes a slightly predictable turn, Miley Cyrus brings the emotional depth necessary to partially redeem this film and her performance.  Her emotional argument with Will on the beach toward the end showed impressive acting chops, as well as her interactions with her father following the twist.  Greg Kinnear is probably the best actor in this film, playing the role very naturally.  I understand that the love story sets up the final events (aka the good part), but it just doesn't create entertainment in any form.  As much as I hated the majority of "The Last Song," in the end the stained glass made me shed a few tears and the composer in me appreciates the final song (which by definition is actually a "piece," since a "song" has to have words).  The beauty of the piece creates the perfect atmosphere for that scene (trying to avoid spoilers here) and I love the significance of the piece in relation to the entire story.  Now that I know the whole story, if I were to watch this again I would just find something else to do until the final half-hour and then begin watching intently.  This film really strives to be "A Walk To Remember" but I'd gladly watch that one twice before watching this unoriginal coming-of-age film again.

No comments:

Post a Comment