Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Odd Couple (1968) - 5 stars out of 10

The Odd Couple (1968) - 5 stars out of 10

I had very high expectations for "The Odd Couple," both because of my enjoyment of the tv show and the incredible "Grumpy Old Men" movies, but this film failed to match my expectations.  I don't know how the first 35 minutes managed to be so boring.  I was more entertained by John Fiedler's voice (a.k.a. Piglet from "Winnie the Pooh") that I was by any of the dialogue or characterization.  The movie picked up some pace in the restaurant with Jack Lemmon's obnoxious attempts to clear the fluids from his ears.  At that point, the rest of the film was great.  But does a movie that was only 2/3 good deserve a great rating?  There are a lot of moments that will make you shake your head (in a good way) as Felix (Lemmon) slowly drives Oscar (Walter Matthau) to insanity, particularly during the triple play and once the sisters come over for dinner.  I would definitely recommend "Grumpy Old Men" over this film if you're looking for a comedy, but any fan of the tv show will likely enjoy this film for the sole fact that it gives an excuse to watch those two loveable characters on the screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment