Friday, February 10, 2012

Warrior - 4 stars out of 10

Warrior - 4 stars out of 10

It is difficult to watch this film without having "Rocky" in the back of your mind.  Unfortunately, "Warrior" pales in comparison.  Unlike "Rocky," where you don't have to be a fan of boxing to enjoy the film, I don't know if you can enjoy "Warrior" if you aren't an MMA fan.  Action fans will definitely enjoy the violent fight sequences but I'm not in love with the script.  It is overdramatic and the circumstances are very far-fetched, and yet the entire film is redeemed by its final 3 minutes because of those very circumstances.  As the film reaches its climax, the music becomes overwhelming and you'll find yourself captured in an incredibly moving moment of brotherhood.  As far as the musical score is concerned, I absolutely loved the extensive tournament preparation sequence with a variation on Beethoven's Ninth Symphony (in minor!) playing in the background.  Outside of the cool fighting, the acting is better than average but nothing to write home about.  I absolutely do not understand how Nick Nolte was nominated for Best Supporting Actor in this film.  He had one scene that stands out but I'd still only consider it "good."  If anything, I would consider him the least deserving of a nomination if I had to pick from the 3 main actors.  Tom Hardy is totally B.A. and will have you rooting for him because of his intensity, and he had me fascinated because of the mystery behind the events of his life.  But I can't say that the film is watching just for him.  This one would've never been on my list if not for the Best Supporting Oscar nomination and though I wouldn't watch it again, it was worth it to find that little chunk of Beethoven on the soundtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment