Thursday, August 30, 2012

Absence of Malice - 6 stars out of 10

Absence of Malice - 6 stars out of 10

"Absense of Malice" is a slow-moving vehicle for Sally Field to shine.  I walked into this film with high expectations (as I do with any film with Paul Newman's name on it) and, while the pace drags the film down at times, it is redeemed through suspensful twists and profound statements about the power of the press.  I was a bit confused by Newman's performance.  There were times that he really took command of the screen (particularly when he assaulted Field), but most of the time he seemed very bland.  Maybe it was just the character, but this wasn't his strongest showing.  Field, on the other hand, gives one of her finer performances.  This film makes me want to see more of her earlier films, as most of my exposure to her is in her older roles like "Mrs. Doubtfire" and "Forrest Gump."  I don't know why, but her haircut is so cute that it really gives her that innocent image, even though she's being sneaky and gumptious!  The shock value of the different circumstances surrounding Melinda Dillon's character moves the emotional side of the story forward, particularly her last involvement in the story that literally made my jaw drop (I'm trying so hard to avoid spoilers!)  Overall, this film is a good story with two leading characters that you will care about and, in spite of its slow-moving pace, it is definitely worth a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment