Sunday, August 5, 2012

August Rush - 7 stars out of 10

August Rush - 7 stars out of 10

It might be the music teacher in me, but I truly enjoyed this beautiful story about love, family, and how music can bring people together.  Maybe you're one of those who can't hear it, but I know that I've always been listening.  And I hope that you will be able to hear the world just as August does.  I will admit that this film does have its flaws and that it had a greater emotional impact the first time that I watched it, but you cannot help but be inspired by the journey of this young musical prodigy.  One of the most fantastic aspects of this film is the storytelling ability of its musical score.  Mark Mancina has woven together a series of individual musical themes that appear during August's different experiences and then culminate in the creation of his Rhapsody.  During the performance of this piece at the end of the story, the entire film replays, not visually, but through the many different musical cues that we experience throughout August's journey.  The focus of this film is obviously music and Mancina has given breath to the script through his music.  The progression of musical skill, from hearing street sounds to tapping notes on a guitar to discovering music theory on the organ may be incredibly far-fetched, but it is very cool.  Though I do love the music included in this film, it was very upsetting that the fingers did not always match the music that the characters were allegedly playing.  In a non-musical film, I can forgive this.  But I believe that a film that is all about music should contain complete musical integrity, even if it means not casting your first choice actor in favor of someone who plays the instrument.  I thought that Freddie Highmore did an incredibly good job, it was easy to empathize with Terrence Howard and consequently feel concerned for August's future, and Keri Russell and Jonathan Rhys Meyers were fine.  Robin Williams was the one that irked me a bit.  I know that he is supposed to be like Fagin from "Oliver Twist," providing for these children while actually exploiting them, but he was just a little too goofy for my taste.  He was great when he was being nasty and manipulative - I just wish that the character didn't seem so bipolar.  My only other complaint is the sudden ending that makes it seem like there should be 3 more minutes (unlike films like "Next" and "The Woman In Black" that should have ended 3 minutes earlier).  Regardless, the good outnumbers the bad in "August Rush" and if the music doesn't move you, the determination of a mother to find her son (and vice-versa) certainly will.

No comments:

Post a Comment