Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Rocker - 6 stars out of 10

The Rocker - 6 stars out of 10

After seeing the previews, I expected this to be a kids' movie.  In fact, I'd been avoiding it on Netflix but finally decided to give it a shot because of Rainn Wilson.  Needless to say, I was confused when I saw the PG-13 rating... and then saw all of the big names in the opening credits.  "The Rocker" is a good comedy with really good music but definitely does not live up to movies like "That Thing You Do" and "Once."  I loved all of the cameos - it seems like the entire NBC primetime cast showed up!  There were a lot of nice "becoming a band" moments, like "The Drive Test" - I thought that was a pretty cool scene.  I was really thankful when Christina Applegate became a main character in this movie and feel that she brought some much needed chemistry that wasn't there between Wilson and the kids.  In the end, this movie had that perfect ending that I was hoping for.  I don't care that it was semi-predictable - it ended exactly the right way.  I expected more "Dwight humor" and was let down that Wilson just drank lots of beer and fell on his face instead of being nerdy and awkward like in The Office.  Though it wasn't the best comedy that I've seen, it was good for a few laughs and I'd see it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment