Friday, November 30, 2012

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - 5 stars out of 10

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - 5 stars out of 10

This movie has me completely perplexed.  I couldn't have cared less about the movie or its characters; and yet, the final 2 minutes we so perfect that I became completely consumed with the story and couldn't hold back my tears.  And then again 5 minutes later when I rewatched the ending to see if I overreacted.  I cried even harder and was even more taken by its bittersweet simplicity.  Black comedies have never been my thing and I simply did not enjoy this film's depressing atmosphere mixed with ironic humor.  The acting is decent but it just feels like something is missing from the script.  The characters don't really grow and the film doesn't do a very good job of exploring it's main theme: "Priorities change when the end is near."  One thing that is NOT missing from the script is the unnecessary profanity laced throughout the first half of the film.  I can imagine several different ways that they could have told this story in a dramatic fashion that would have made me love these characters from the very start.  "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World" may not be the greatest film but it is absolutely worth watching for the last two minutes.  The final scene is literally one of my top 10 movie scenes of all time with its emotional dialogue, simplicity, and one final smile as the world fades away.  It is perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment