Sunday, March 10, 2013

Hellraiser - 3 stars out of 10

Hellraiser - 3 stars out of 10

“Hellraiser” is sadism for the eyes.  It may be the most horrific of all horror movies, not in a fun sense but in an uneasy one.  I can’t imagine anybody choosing to watch this if they knew what was in store.  The disturbing nature of the film makes it easy to see why the creators of franchises like “Saw” and “The Human Centipede” believe that they can show anything that they want on-screen.  I will admit that the make-up and special effects are gruesomely impressive; whether it is the progressive transformation of Frank from bones to tissue or ripping a body apart with chains and hooks, there are few details that we are not forced to endure.  I will never submit myself to another film in this franchise.  I can’t ever handle watching the “Jesus wept” scene ever again, it was just awful (especially alone at 1 am with your mind playing tricks on you).  Considering how desensitized we have become to violence today, I cannot imagine how shocking it must have been to watch this film in 1987.  The sadomasochistic theme presented through the Cenobites turns my stomach as their ritualistic torture is left to the imagination.  Outside of the disturbing storyline and concert, the acting leaves something to be desired.  The worst of the over-actors is Ashley Laurence, though all of the actors tend to have that B-list feel.  The film also boasts a fitting musical score with those creepy chords on the piano and chimes.  I don’t know if it was the circumstances in which I watched this film (alone in the dark, half-asleep, late at night) or the film itself, but “Hellraiser” was an incredibly disturbing experience and I never want to relive it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment