Sunday, October 27, 2013

Barefoot in the Park - 8 stars out of 10

Barefoot in the Park - 8 stars out of 10

Classic and cute, "Barefoot in the Park" is one of those chick flicks that will make you love all of the little quirks about your significant other.  Based on Neil Simon's play, the stereotypical tiny apartment of a young couple getting their start in New York City becomes the center of conflict, confrontation, and conversion.  I think that this film is so fun to watch because we can all see a little of ourselves in Corie and Paul, and see a little of our significant other in whichever one we are not relating to at the moment.  The quaint quality of this film comes from the transformation of Paul into Corie and vice versa.  Jane Fonda is absolutely adorable and plays perfectly off of Robert Redford.  Sometimes she is that picture-perfect girl that every male desires and other times, she is that high-high-maintenance girlfriend whose neck we have all wanted to wring.  The comedy is clever, my favorite sequence being the stream of guests who enter the apartment out of breath due to the five flights of stairs that they must conquer before arriving.  For all of its great moments, the ending is way too cheesy and sudden, though I suppose that it is better than having the "wrong" ending; regardless, "Barefoot in the Park" is a film that I look forward to enjoying over and over again, even if it is just as an excuse to tease my significant other.

1 comment:

  1. I knew you would enjoy this movie...I love to watch it as a pick me up for a bad day! I secretly think I am Corie some days..

    ReplyDelete