Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Oblivion (2013) - 3 stars out of 10

Oblivion (2013) - 3 stars out of 10

I wanted to love "Oblivion," but I just couldn't.  While I love post-apocalyptic settings, this film was more sci-fi than I expected and it just went in the wrong direction for me.  I would really like to revisit this one with a new expectation but for now, poor rating.  This story has some very interesting twists as we navigate its many layers but I can't help but feel that the screenplay could have told this story in a less confusing manner.  Additionally, there was not enough Morgan Freeman.  I realize that there is NEVER enough Morgan Freeman, but his 20 minutes on screen wasn't enough to justify putting him on the film poster and using him as bait to lure us into the theater.  Tom Cruise has a pretty typical performance and Olga Kurylenko brought the perfect amount of mystery into the film.  I have no problem recommending this film - it's an average sci-fi film but can at least give you a new concept to wrap your head around.

No comments:

Post a Comment