Thursday, January 15, 2015

Guardians of the Galaxy - 3 stars out of 10

Guardians of the Galaxy - 3 stars out of 10

I've been over the whole superhero craze for awhile, but the prospect of a wise-cracking, gun-wielding raccoon definitely caught my eye; unfortunately, even Rocket Raccoon couldn’t save this film from becoming just another contribution to the oversaturation of the superhero film market.  “Guardians of the Galaxy” subscribes to the same superhero equation that we have seen over and over again this past decade.  A Han Solo-esque rogue character stumbles upon several misfits (and a… tree-like humanoid?) who band together toward a good cause.  While I can’t deny the film’s visual splendor, I did not find the characters or the story to be very appealing.  I don’t know what I wanted, but it certainly was not the same old superhero film.  This one doesn’t exactly go by the books as these characters are a bit edgier and never claim to do things with complete innocence; still, there is something that feels very generic about this adventure.  Does it really matter if the characters saving the day are the Guardians, or could we just as easily substitute in the Fantastic Four, the Avengers, or the upcoming Justice League?  Needless to say, I won’t be seeing the inevitable sequel.  The only thing about this film that will be memorable to me is its unique soundtrack of 70’s classics.  Classics like Hooked on a Feeling, I Want You Back, Go All the Way, O-o-h Child, and Ain’t No Mountain High Enough kept drawing in my attention when my focus began to waver and, by the end of the film, I felt like I could relate to Quill through a mutual love of oldies.  This isn't a bad movie - it was just in the wrong place at the wrong time for me.  I appreciate the comedy and enjoyed a few of the action sequences but, in the end, “Guardians of the Galaxy” is a generic continuation of the superhero films that came before it and the others that are on their way.


[Pictured: There is no denying that Rocket is an awesome character]

No comments:

Post a Comment