Monday, February 9, 2015

Mad Max (1979) - 3 stars out of 10

Mad Max (1979) - 3 stars out of 10

Reading the synopsis of “Mad Max,” one would think that this is a high-octane, action-packed thriller for the ages.  In reality, I found this film to be slow, underwhelming, and quite forgettable.  I love dystopian films and walk into each with the expectation that it will be on pace with “Gattaca” or “A Clockwork Orange.”  This one fell far short of that expectation.  I didn’t develop an emotional connection with any of the characters, feel surprised at any moment, or believe the scenes that transpired onscreen.  I know that the critics love this film but I just can’t get into it.  Probably the best thing that I got out of this was the opportunity to see Mel Gibson at age 23 – he didn’t even look like himself!  I definitely expected more of this iconic film but I’m sad to say that “Mad Max’ is up there (or should I say down there) with “Death Race 2000” on my list of dystopian films.

[Pictured: It's hard to believe that this is Mel Gibson]

No comments:

Post a Comment