Thursday, December 31, 2015

Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony - 7 stars out of 10

Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony - 7 stars out of 10

“Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony” is a documentary dedicated to the adult obsession with the cartoon show, “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.”  While many people find the Brony movement to be a bit odd, this documentary humanizes the trend.  It’s easy to make a blanket judgment that “Bronies are weird” but once you see their faces and hear their stories, it becomes obvious that this is a group of normal people with a common interest.  Some of them are weird, but you get that in any group of people.  The most important part of the documentary is that we meet individuals and see how their life has a Brony has helped them to find an outlet for their creativity, communicate better with their parents, find a significant other, cope with their Asperger syndrome, etc.  I like the geographical approach of this documentary, highlighting Bronies from different countries to emphasize this worldwide phenomenon.  One of the most amazing things the this documentary displays is how this group of people live out the morals of the cartoon to make the world a better place.  From charitable auctions at conventions to the actors giving their time to visit sick kids, this is a group that has been inspired by the lessons in each episode.  The tone of the film is very positive, focusing on the good that this cartoon has done for its fandom instead of the judgment of the outside world.  I’m not going to become a Brony myself, but “Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony” has opened my eyes to what this hobby is all about and the good that it can do for our society.

[Pictured: The film features original My Little Pony animations with the actual voice actors to create transitions in the movie.  Awesome]

No comments:

Post a Comment