Monday, August 7, 2017

Dope (2015) - 3 stars out of 10

Dope (2015) - 3 stars out of 10

“Dope” just isn’t my type of film.  I guess that I should have realized that from the title.  I generally love coming-of-age stories but this odd combination of goofball comedy, serious portrayal of the drug trade, and 90’s throwback just didn’t do it for me.  This film suffers from an identity crisis and could have been good if it had just chosen a theme and stuck with it.  Like, why do they have to have a 90's band if it is only significant for about 3 minutes of the entire film?  Beyond its inconsistent mood, there is so much swearing.  And for what?  Again, this amount of profanity would be appropriate in a realistic drama like “Moonlight” or “The Shawshank Redemption,” but its excessive use in comedic moments reminds me of a bad shock-value Melissa McCarthy movie.  Also, I didn't find the characters to be very endearing.  The story took a few interesting turns but it isn’t enough to redeem the confusion of its conflicting moods and reliance on nostalgia in a non-period piece.  The film opens by defining “dope” as:
1. noun: a drug taken illegally for recreational purposes
2. noun: a stupid person
3. Slang: excellent. Used as a generalized term of approval
I suppose that I fell into the second category by thinking that I might enjoy this film.  My bad.

[Pictured: The costumers captured the 90's look, too bad the film takes place in modern times]

No comments:

Post a Comment