Tuesday, January 2, 2018

The Parent Trap (1961) - 8 stars out of 10

The Parent Trap (1961) - 8 stars out of 10

I have always loved "The Parent Trap."  The 1998 remake, that is.  For nearly 20 years, I had completely ignored the original and assumed that it would lack the heart that I've grown to love about the 90's version.  I was mistaken.  There are some negative aspects that we expect from a 60's film like obvious green screens and bad lip syncing, but those little details are far outweighed by the incredible cloning of Hayley Mills onscreen.  It was impressive in the 90's with CGI and even more mind-blowing with 1960's technology (I wish I knew how they captured that shot in the mirror, but I'm so glad that I don't).  There is no greater example of movie magic than the sequence where they sing a duet of "Let's Get Together," complete with a double vocal track by Mills.  I have always been drawn to this story because of its theme of family and the bond between two separated sisters.  We are endeared to Hayley and Hayley from the start, wondering what it would be like if we discovered our twin and wishing that these characters could enjoy life together.  What I never noticed in the story is that this theme is actually a means of telling a very sweet adult love story.  I prefer Dennis Quaid in the remake to Brian Keith in the original, but there is no substitute for the enchanting Maureen O'Hara.  She manages to light up the screen just as much as the two versions of Mills.  The story does a great job of helping us to get to know each character and the complexities of their relationships.  The relationship between Susan and her newly discovered grandfather is particularly heartwarming.  I also loved Una Merkel as Verbena.  She provided great comic relief while making important contributions to the plot.  I will always prefer the 1998 remake because the love story reads better and Lindsey Lohan better distinguishes between the two twin personalities; still, you can't go wrong with either version of "The Parent Trap" if you are in the mood for family-friendly laughs, great characters, and a healthy dose of movie magic.


[Pictured: The "Let's Get Together" sequence is probably the most famous part of the movie, featuring a duet between Mills and Mills with guitar and piano accompaniment by Mills and Mills!  You'll never forget this catchy song by the Sherman brothers performed in this cool context.]

No comments:

Post a Comment