Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Goodbye Christopher Robin - 3 stars out of 10

Goodbye Christopher Robin - 3 stars out of 10

“Goodbye Christopher Robin” rides the coattails of films like “Finding Neverland” and “Saving Mr. Banks,” but I was unimpressed.  This is one of the few instances where I would have rather not known the story behind a group of beloved childhood characters.  The film focuses on WWI and the unhappiness surrounding the creation of A.A. Milne’s Pooh characters instead of the joy that these characters brought into the lives of Christopher Robin and children around the world.  I can’t help wondering whether this story would have been better told by Disney and whether this intentionally dark tone was necessary.  I was excited when I saw that Domhnall Gleeson and Margot Robbie were attached to the film but their characters were so unlikable that I couldn’t connect with them.  Not to mention that Robbie was basically nonexistent throughout the film.  The saving grace is Kelly Macdonald who provides a nurturing atmosphere for Christopher in spite of the toxic environment created by his parents.  I tend to be an optimist and this film spent its entire runtime trying to destroy the legacy of the Pooh characters.  I cannot wait to see these characters redeemed through Disney’s new family film entitled “Christopher Robin” but I hope that nobody mistakenly sees “Goodbye Christopher Robin” instead.  Pooh’s legacy deserves to live on in a positive light.

[Pictured: It is magical to see the Pooh characters in their original form, but that magic is snuffed out by the negativity that fuels the story]

No comments:

Post a Comment