Saturday, July 23, 2011

Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D (2008) - 3 stars out of 10

Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D (2008) - 3 stars out of 10

I have to admit, "Journey to the Center of the Earth" was better than I expected (although I began with a very low expectation ). This was a unique take on the story, using Jules Verne's book to inspire the characters and placing them in his fantasy world, rather than just making this an adaptation. The main reason that I enjoyed this film was for the 3D effects. Although it seems like most of the script was written to facilitate cheesy 3D moments (instead of the other way around), the effects were still entertaining. I watched the 3D anaglyph version, which means that I sacrificed the vivid colors (which were completey washed out) for the 3D effects, but without the 3D I would've been annoyed with the film so it was worth it. Brendan Fraser is not very good, playing into his stereotype and delivering his comedic lines with poor timing. On the other hand, I did enjoy Anita Briem and hope that she gets some more roles. Overall, this makes a nice family film which will have smaller children jumping at the sight of carnivorous plants and dinosaurs, but does not contain much quality acting or dialogue. The sequel sounds atrocious and I definitely will NOT be seeing that one, but I'd recommend this for a family movie night, particularly with 3D glasses!

No comments:

Post a Comment