Saturday, July 9, 2011

Song of the South - 3 stars out of 10

Song of the South - 3 stars out of 10

"Song of the South" is the infamous Disney live-action/cartoon that has more of a reputation for it's racially charged moments than it's story or incorporation of the Brer Rabbit characters.  I can honestly say that the "racism" in the film can only be categorized as mild and the film is more of a period piece than anything.  As a children's film, I can see why the content is a bit much but do not expect to be shocked if you are an adult viewer.  I'm fascinated by the fact that Disney based their entire Splash Mountain ride on the characters from this film, despite never releasing it on VHS or DVD in the United States, but I'm glad that they have found a way to allow audiences to meet the characters even if they will not make the movie available.  As far as the film is concerned, there is not a ton of value in the live-action moments.  James Baskett's portrayal of Uncle Remus is wonderful, but I simply did not care for the story surrounding the 3 cartoon segments.  If I had to make a recommendation, I'd say that it's worth watching the cartoon segments (that only total 25 minutes) and fastforwarding the other hour of the movie.  The live-action ties it all togetherbut not incredibly well.

No comments:

Post a Comment