Friday, August 5, 2011

The Land Before Time - 3 stars out of 10

The Land Before Time - 3 stars out of 10

Wow, the only movie that I have seen that is more driven by its soundtrack is Black Beauty.  James Horner's musical scoring is exciting, emotional, and constant as it proves to be the highlight of "The Land Before Time."  The animation is pretty basic and the movie sometimes has the "Milo and Otis effect", where the audience is merely watching a bunch of cute animals interact.  I like how they used 5 stereotyped children's personalities (the leader, the cute but annoying one, the quiet one, the nervous one, and the cocky/independent one).  The downfall of this movie is its lack of character development.  Although it might seem like I'm being pretty demanding since it's just a cartoon, after seeing movies like The Lion King and Up!, I believe that ALL movies should be held to the highest standards (even cartoons).  I guess I expected more with Spielberg, Lucas, and Marshall's names involved.  A childhood classic, yes... a great cinematic achievement, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment