Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Accused - 7 stars out of 10

The Accused - 7 stars out of 10

"The Accused" is a landmark film, being the first films to focus on rape as the center of a plot.  It is also chillingly based on a true story and features Jodie Foster in an Oscar-winning role.  Foster is incredible in her transformation from high, irresponsible trailer trash to a woman desperate to have her story heard.  I really did not care for Kelly McGillis.  I've enjoyed her in other films but this role was pretty dull (even though it should've been dynamic) and I felt that she lacked the emotion to compliment Foster's chilling performance.  The rating of this film is high because of Foster's performance and the script, but not as high as it could be because of McGillis' comparatively weak performance.  The writers did a great job, saving the graphic and extensive rape scene for the end of the film.  As a warning, it is very difficult to watch and I would not recommend watching it if you prefer to avoid imagery of this nature; unfortunately, it is the climax of the film and necessary to bring the message home, so if you cannot handle it you should just skip this film altogether.  Part of me wishes that I would have fastforwarded this scene since I felt myself growing ill at these abominable acts on screen, but I now have an even greater appreciation for Jodie Foster and the realism of her traumatic acting.  I will never revist this film due to its graphic content, but this edgy endeavor pushed the boundaries of dramatic film and laid the groundwork for many of the greatest releases today.

No comments:

Post a Comment