Thursday, January 19, 2012

Blade Runner - 3 stars out of 10

Blade Runner - 3 stars out of 10

"Blade Runner" is a futuristic robot film noir.  Yes, I really just said that.  If you're confused now, wait until you see the film!  I understand the story but I just don't get it.  There are allegedly several thematic layers to this film but I can't see past the "action" aspect of it; unfortunately, in spite of its plot setting it up to be a great action film, it moves way too slow.  I agree with the film's initial box office failure and not those who have turned it into a cult classic.  I believe that my distaste for the film stems from not experiencing it at a time when it was a revolutionary science fiction film.  People viewing this in 1982 were blown away by some of the effects, but watching it in 2012 left me with the impression of "What's the big deal?"  I do enjoy Harrison Ford's acting and especially enjoyed M. Emmet Walsh's small role, but overall it was rather lackluster.  I didn't really care for Ford's narration during the film.  It was inconsistent, used throughout a portion of the film and then disappearing for the next hour, only to return for the final 10 minutes (I hear that it was removed in one of the several rereleases - looks like that was a good choice).  I knew that I wouldn't be crazy about it but I just couldn't latch onto any of these characters, whether alive or robotic.  The most attention-grabbing thing was Vangelis' future-gothic soundtrack.  It almost becomes ambient at times, perfectly fitting the setting of a futuristic dystopian Los Angeles.  Unless you have a deep interest in sci-fi, you probably won't enjoy this film.  I'm sorry Ridley Scott, but I'm going to stick to "Gladiator."

No comments:

Post a Comment