Monday, January 2, 2012

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World - 4 stars out of 10

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World - 4 stars out of 10

"Master and Commander" creates a similar experience for the audience as it does for its characters - it's a bunch of guys on a ship, waiting for something interesting to happen.  I was warned that this story would be slow, but I still wasn't prepared for the first hour+ of this film.  Don't get me wrong, there is important character development taking place and one interesting battle, but they need to have the characters DOING something as they're developed while we wait for the big 30-minute finale that we saw on the previews.  It has great special effects... when there is actually action.  Unfortunately, there is very little action.  I realize that the critics liked this film and that it was nominated for 10 Oscars, but 2003 was a weak year for movies and I can't place this as a Best Picture nominee in other Oscar classes (or even in 2003).  When compared with "Pirates of the Caribbean" (which did not receive a Best Picture nomination), this film looks inferior.  I have trouble labeling it "Action & Adventure" when very little of the film involves these two things.  "Pirates" is interesting from start to finish whereas this film alternates between epic adventure and nap-time.  It's okay, just not worthy of 10 Oscar nominations.  The one portion of this film that garnered my attention was the story of Dr. Stephen Maturin, and I give credit to Paul Bettany for making me like this character so much.  The final battle made me sit up and take note, and even made me say to myself "Okay, this movie isn't as bad as I thought and I'm finally enjoying it."  But if you are expecting "Gladiator" when you see Russell Crowe's name on this film, you are going to find yourself one hour short of an epic.

No comments:

Post a Comment