Monday, March 19, 2012

Into the Woods (1991) - 3 stars out of 10

Into the Woods (1991) - 3 stars out of 10

"Into the Woods" is not my favorite musical.  The music is interesting but the constant change of keys and time signatures makes the entire show feel disjointed.  I enjoy Sondheim as much as the next guy but for me, this can't begin to compare with Sweeney Todd and West Side Story.  This Original Broadway Cast is spot on, featuring Joanna Gleason as the Baker's Wife and the legendary Bernadette Peters as The Witch.  I enjoyed the overall story as the writers reveal what happens after "happily ever after," though it's surprising that they don't hesitate to kill off a bunch of characters.  Probably the biggest surprise to me is the amount of the humor in this script, not hesitating to step out of the story to deliver a joke directly to the audience.  I typically avoid recordings of stage shows  but this version works if you are interested in experiencing the musical.  "Into the Woods" is an okay musical... but I like to walk away from a show being able to sing at least one song and this one gives me a headache as I try to weave together any of its melodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment