Saturday, February 16, 2013

Brokeback Mountain - 1 star out of 10

Brokeback Mountain - 1 star out of 10

Unfortunately, "Brokeback Mountain" was exactly what I expected... I found the entire "gay cowboys doing it in a tent on the side of a mountain" plot to be awkward.  It's hard to believe that Ang Lee could direct a film with such controversial content... then direct the family-friendly "Life of Pi" several years later.  Though I knew what I was getting into, I decided to give it a shot anyways since everybody raved about how great the acting was.  Honestly, it did not live up to the hype.  The best acting in the movie comes during the Thanksgiving dinner scene when Jake Gyllenhaal stands up for himself, but the acting throughout the rest of the movie was just average.  Heath Ledger transforms himself into something far from who he is (especially his accent), but what he becomes isn't the greatest character in movie history.  If all of that wasn't enough, it's annoying that they don't age at all!  Someone needs to tell the make-up artists that a cheesy mustache does not properly show 20 years of aging...  I know that a lot of people really liked this movie, but I wouldn't recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment