Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Seven Year Itch - 5 stars out of 10

The Seven Year Itch - 5 stars out of 10

To me, "The Seven Year Itch" is the epitome of average.  It has a cute script and several clever plot devices, but it just sort of comes and goes without leaving much of an impression.  The largest impression is left by Marilyn Monroe, who tends to be unforgettable no matter what the circumstance.  This film contains her most iconic moment as the air from a subway grate blows her dress up as she holds it down.  Other than that scene and Monroe's lovably air-headed dialogue, the rest seemed to drag on as I just wasn't charmed by Tom Ewell's nervous actions and fantasy scenes; in fact, I spent most of the movie waiting for Monroe to reappear.  I did love the incorporation of Rachmaninoff's Second Piano Concerto into the plot, as I can relate to being moved by the beauty of this piece while others just don't seem to get it.  I think that "The Seven Year Itch" is one of those films that every film fan has to see because of Monroe's iconic moment, but outside of that you shouldn't have a very high expectation.

No comments:

Post a Comment