Tuesday, July 1, 2014

La Grande Bellezza (The Great Beauty) - 3 stars out of 10

La Grande Bellezza (The Great Beauty) - 3 stars out of 10

“La Grande Bellezza” was… interesting.  After seeing a movie like “Amour” win the Oscar for Best Foreign Film last year, I expected a lot more from this year’s Oscar winner.  I believe that the film was well done.  Toni Servillo really bears his soul in this mosaic of Italian culture, and we truly get to see Rome from all angles.  I just didn’t like the concept.  Everything seemed so disjointed and there were way too many extended dance party sequences.  I realize that this is the point, that the main character is surrounded by people and parties but feels alone, but I didn’t enjoy watching it.  I had such high hopes during the vivid opening sequence with gorgeous impressionist choral music and then the film gave way to flashing lights and club music.  There was also a lot of unnecessary nudity that detracted from the visual beauty of the landscape sequences and the dialogue was often too fast to keep up with the subtitles.  Although it’s easy to hate on this film, I’m glad that I experienced the scene where he humiliates that rude lady.  That was one of the best scenes of 2013 and, while I wouldn’t recommend “La Grande Bellezza,” there are a few great moments hidden within.

No comments:

Post a Comment