Saturday, October 11, 2014

Mogambo - 2 stars out of 10

Mogambo - 2 stars out of 10

“Mogambo” is significantly less exciting that the Kilimanjaro Safari at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.  I approached this film with high expectations due to its three shining Hollywood stars, two Oscar nominations in acting, and being Grace Kelly’s first film.  …I should have done more research.  While the critics loved its star power, I found the film to be boring (as evidenced by my falling asleep within the first half-hour on both nights that I attempted to watch it).  Most of the dialogue is unnecessary to the furthering of the plot and it seemed like film should be about a gorilla hunt or a love triangle, not both.  The nature footage is quite stunning, particularly the apes, but this footage would've fared better as a nature documentary.  It is painfully obvious that the apes and actors were filmed in completely different places, but that doesn't really matter since it has very little to do with the love story anyways.  A mid-afternoon third attempt at watching the film allowed me to finish it.  Barely.  I’m glad that I finished it just so that I could get to the climactic scene but, other than those five minutes of movie magic, I don’t see any point in enduring “Mogambo.”

[Pictured: Not as good as you would think.]

No comments:

Post a Comment