Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Steel Magnolias (1989) - 5 stars out of 10

Steel Magnolias (1989) - 5 stars out of 10

“Steel Magnolias” was a decent chick flick but did not even come close to its reputation.  I have long heard that this was THE chick flick but lacked the great love story and comedy that I have come to expect.  I don’t want to discount Julia Roberts’ performance because she delivers a broad spectrum of emotions with veteran poise.  I was disappointed in Sally Field at first, but her subtle start gives her somewhere to grow until she reaches the amazing climax of her performance.  Unfortunately, the rest of the cast falls short.  Dolly Parton, Olympia Dukakis, and Shirley MacLaine were completely underutilized in the story, Daryl Hannah was pretty “eh…” and none of the men left much of an impression.  I do love the southern atmosphere that is captured on-screen.  The story was interesting but the ratio of comedy-to-drama was way too heavy on the drama side.  I am sure that I will really enjoy “Steel Magnolias” next time now that my expectation has been set so low, but I can think of dozens of chick flicks that I would rank higher than this one.


[Pictured: Dolly Parton and Olympia Dukakis have some great one-liners: "If you can't say something nice... sit by me!"]

No comments:

Post a Comment