Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Single Man - 6 stars out of 10

A Single Man - 6 stars out of 10

"A Single Man" was exactly what I expected.  Unfortunately.  While Colin Firth's performance is admirable, this story did not appeal to me.  This movie was just an extreme downer with few signs of light.  It seems that the intention of the suicide scene was to bring comic relief, but it did not quite make sense to me due to the serious nature of every other minute of this film.  Julianne Moore deserves credit for delivering an emotional role unlike any that I have seen her in - I did not even realize that it was her for a while.  The other plus that I found in A Single Man was its stream-of-consciousness style.  I'd love to see another attempt at a stream-of-consciousness film with a character's flashbacks, ideas, and thoughts appearing throughout - let's just try it with a more appealing subject matter next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment