Saturday, October 20, 2012

The Cabin in the Woods - 1 star out of 10

The Cabin in the Woods - 1 star out of 10

I don't know what the critics are talking about - this may be one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life!  At least films like "Birdemic" and "The Room" are laughable - this one just completely missed its mark.  This is literally one of the worst movie concepts that I have ever seen.  It's as if they tried to remake "The Truman Show" into a horror film.  I get what they were trying to do, but they accidentally turned it into a splatter comedy instead of the horror film that was advertised.  This film could have been so cool if they created a stereotypical horror film and then turned it on its head with a complete perspective change; instead, the entire horror story takes place within the skewed perspective and doesn't provide any scares.  Since the overarching concept is revealed to the audience from the start, the story within the story is not scary at all.  Maybe the writers weren't going for chills, but that was the expectation and it failed miserably.  More than anything, I was annoyed for the duration of the film.  Perhaps the only redeeming quality is the previously unknown Kristen Connolly.  Aside from being incredibly attractive, she creates the only character worth caring about.  I was surprised to see Richard Jenkins in this film.  He's too good of an actor to subscribe to this garbage.  And let's throw Sigourney Weaver in at the very end to make this seem like a legit scary movie.  I'm not a fan of films that subscribe to the philosophy of "The more f-words, the better" and I'm also not a fan of scary movies that aren't scary.  Maybe I'll like it better the second time around when I'm not expecting a scary movie... but for now, this is definitely in contention for the most disappointing movie that I have ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment