Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Ramen Girl - 9 stars out of 10

The Ramen Girl - 9 stars out of 10

You will definitely enjoy and appreciate "The Ramen Girl" if you've ever traveled to a foreign country, didn't speak the language, and were unable to understand the people surrounding you.  A lot of the comedy in this movie comes from those cultural and language barriers.  Brittany Murphy is adorable and perfect for this role.  Though I hate the obligatory "main actress jumping and dancing around scene" in many movies of this style, after all of the tension created throughout the movie, this scene is necessary and (dare I say) enjoyable.  Even without speaking English, Maezumi is a deep and dynamic character whom the audience can easily identify and empathize with.  The insults and comments hurled back and forth between characters (without the other understanding) are hysterical, with my favorite line being "I don't' understand you and would you stop hitting me."  And it ends just right.  I can't promise that you'll love it but if you've traveled abroad, you will definitely be entertained.  R.I.P. Brittany Murphy, this was one of your best films.

No comments:

Post a Comment