Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Argo - 8 stars out of 10

Argo - 8 stars out of 10

“Argo” is just an all-around great film.  There isn't any one thing that sets this film apart, except for that moment at the end of the film where you sit back and say "Wow."  The script has a nice pace and I love the visual appearance of the film.  Whatever filter was used on the cameras really makes it feel like watching stock footage from the 70's.  The costuming and make-up are great, particularly those epic mustaches.  While the acting was good, I was disappointed in the character development of the escapees.  I know that this story is about the set-up of the rescue mission but I cannot name a single escapee (or even tell them apart).  Ben Affleck is typically on my "bad" list but his performance was to-the-point and avoided going over the top.  Alan Arkin stood out as the movie producer, though I can think of other performances more deserving of an Oscar nomination.  I loved the idea of creating a fake movie as a front to extract these Americans but felt that there was not enough of it (considering the emphasis of the movie trailer).  Even though it isn't cinematic perfection, the final half-hour is an incredible emotional build as the danger compounds into an exhilarating finale.  Since I am not a history nerd, I'm thankful that this film brought these events to light and allowed me to experience this unique chapter of American history.  I don't anticipate "Argo" winning any Oscars (except for maybe Best Sound Mixing or Editing, just to make sure that it wins something) but it's an adrenaline rush that I would definitely see again.

No comments:

Post a Comment