Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) - 8 stars out of 10

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) - 8 stars out of 10

The Day The Earth Stood Still is counterintuitive to what I typically expect from a sci-fi film - rather than relying on special effects, this film focuses on the talent of its actors to create an out-of-this-world experience. A few alien lights, a breathtaking closing monologue, and a clear bottom line whose message permeates deeper than a 50's alien movie is this film's equation to become a part of cinematic history. Michael Rennie is perfectly cast as the well-spoken, intellectual Klaatu and has wonderful chemistry with the charming Patricia Neal. This film falls somewhere between a monster movie and a critically acclaimed film, and I respect it for achieving greatness through imaginitive storytelling and great acting instead of special effects without substance.

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying not to over-comment your blog, but nice work on this review. It's smart, concise and on the money. LOL Sounds like I just graded your paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind the comments - I'll end up getting an e-mail about it anyways if you don't comment here. =) I love how this movie operates on a level so far beyond its 50's alien movie surface.

    ReplyDelete