Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Duchess - 7 stars out of 10

The Duchess - 7 stars out of 10

I get the impression that when Saull Dibb took on this project, he said "We're going to win an Oscar." This is the type of dramatic film that is typically in contention for Best Picture but it fell slightly short. Most importantly, I now know that I may legally hit my wife with a stick as long as it is not wider than my thumb. [sarcasm] The costuming and artistry are excellent in this period piece and I did not even lose patience with Keira Knightley, who often appears to be delivering her dialogue with cotton balls in her mouth. I feel as if she was empowered by this role and it pushed her acting to a new level. There is a great emotional dynamic running through the story as Ralph Fiennes creates frustration through his actions. I was particularly impressed by Hayley Atwell, who I hope will continue to gain popularity among casting directors. Rachel Portman's hauntingly beautiful score perfectly bridges the dramatic (and sometimes devastating) moments together. Her impressive resume (including "Never Let Me Go" and "Chocolat") continues to grow through her chilling string melodies. This gripping true story looks like it would be boring but actually offers a unique perspective into what happened behind closed doors amidst the aristocracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment