Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Easy A - 10 stars out of 10

Easy A - 10 stars out of 10
50th Review

Easy A has made me into an Emma Stone fan for life. She had failed to leave an impression on me in her previous movies (in fact, I was surprised to see her resume, not remembering that she was in most of them), but she rocked this nearly one-man-show. I expected to hate this movie. Not only was it entertaining but I LOVED it! Where did this all-star class come from? I enjoyed Aly Michalka and Patricia Clarkson. Thomas Haden Church was perfectly cast as "the cool teacher" and Stanley Tucci brought light-heartedness at all of the necessary moments. Although I typically love Amanda Bynes, some of the unnecessarily over-the-top Jesus freak-ish moments left a sour taste at the end of the film. I appreciate that the writers were able to bring an intelligent script to a stereotypically poor teenage movie subplot. The blog storytelling technique was perfect and effectively engulfed me in the story. Clever things like the opening sequence with Pocket Full of Sunshine make this film stand out. The bottom line is that Easy A is a frighteningly accurate portrait of the high school information exchange and creates fictional entertainment while preserving a realistic insight into our generation's inner-workings. This film is a total package of entertainment as it offers comedy, drama, melodrama, lots of wit, great characters, great acting, and a perfect ending - complete with a musical number that occurs for no particular reason, just as Olive wanted it.

No comments:

Post a Comment