Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Phantom of the Opera (2004) - 8 stars out of 10

The Phantom of the Opera (2004) - 8 stars out of 10

I don't know why so many people hated this - I thought that it was very well done and it brought this musical to life.  I've heard heavy negative criticism of the casting and added scenes but... Andrew Lloyd Webber was a co-writer and producer for this film, meaning that the casting and storytelling is likely what he envisioned when he first wrote the musical.  I'll admit, when I think of Gerard Butler my first thought is not "Singing, disfigured musical genius" but it somehow works.  A lot of musicians criticize the film because of Emmy Rossum.  There are certainly better sopranos out there but admittedly, she can sing the role AND visually has the childlike innocence necessary for Christine.  The issue that I have with this film is Minnie Driver.  While her attitude is perfect for the role of Carlotta, it is a slap in the face to the theatre industry to over-dub a singing voice in a musical.  Unacceptable - there must have been someone that had the attitude and could sing for herself.  I feel like this was a bit of a sell-out move to get a big name in there.  My other complaint is the derivation from the original story, in which the Phantom is disfigured from an incident with acid, not being a circus freak, but I can live with it.  I feel that Jennifer Ellison is underrated and wish that this role could have boosted her American film career.  I also enjoyed the connection of Simon Callow, between his role as an opera patron in "Phanton and his role as an opera performer in Amadeus in 1984.  Although this musical-turned-movie has been the center of many controversial discussions, it is an incredible visual and aural experience that brings familiar stage characters to life on the silver screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment