Monday, April 18, 2011

Ocean's Eleven (1960) - 7 stars out of 10

Ocean's Eleven (1960) - 7 stars out of 10

How can you even begin to laud the all-stars that make up this cast? Shifting focus away from the Rat Pack for a moment, Dickinson was charming, Romero was just plain cool, and Ilk Chase may have had the best performance in the entire film. One of the joys of watching the Rat Pack act is that you know that you will end up with an incredible soundtrack. From the moment that Sammy Davis Jr. sings with that harmonica, you know that you are in for a treat. But as far as the movie goes, I wish that I would've seen this before I fell in love with the remake - I spent too much time comparing. I wish that I would have gotten to know many of the characters better. One of the great things about the remake is that the characters are all so dynamically different that you get to know their personalities from beginning to end. In this version, a lot of them just blend together. I do like that the basic premise of both films is the same, but the circumstances, motivations, and means are all completely different to seperate these two films. Although the first half of this film is pretty slow, the ending is genius and I'd definitely recommend it.
P.S. Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin = Coolest Men to Walk the Earth

No comments:

Post a Comment