Friday, December 2, 2011

Cronos - 4 stars out of 10

Cronos - 4 stars out of 10

Guillermo del Toro's debut is a vampire story that avoids all of the stereotypes.  It is effective only alludes to the characteristics that are the focus of most vampire stories (stake through the heart, light sensitivity).  Although it isn't my favorite film of this genre, I enjoyed this fresh, realistic approach.  As I think back on it, I never really had a "yeah right" moment - the script was written pretty seamlessly to take us from real world to fantasy without us realizing (gee, can't think of any other del Toro pictures that do that... [cough Pan's Labrynth]).  The story is interesting but I don't feel as if enough happened in this film.  It was a bit one-dimensional in the respect that the story just goes from point A to point B without ever changing direction.  This low rating is deceptive because I enjoyed it and thought that it was a good film, but the acting was just average and there are many other films that I would have enjoyed more.

No comments:

Post a Comment