Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Hurt Locker - 6 stars out of 10

The Hurt Locker - 6 stars out of 10

This movie was good... but when compared to the movies nominated against it for the "Best Picture" Academy Award, I cannot understand how "The Hurt Locker" won.  This movie failed to transport me into it's world in the same way as Avatar, Precious, or Up in the Air.  Rather than feeling an emotional attachment to the characters and empathizing with their conflicts, I felt like I was watching a documentary... and that was another problem with this film.  The film was shot in documentary style with first-person camera angles, shots zooming in around corners, and a shaking camera, and yet it was not intended to be a documentary.  I was excited to see Guy Pearce and Ralph Fiennes' names on the credits, but their involvement cannot be considered more than a cameo.  Jeremy Renner was okay but I would've rather seen the aforementioned actors.  This unending display of machoism did not provide any twists or surprises.  A few scenes made me hold my breath but other than that, I was indifferent to what might happen next.  I felt a tiny bit of emotion in the last 10 minutes of the film but aside from that, I felt removed from the plot and waiting for something new to happen.  Instead, I seemingly watched the same scene 4 times with a few random fights thrown in to split them up.  If you want to enjoy this film more than me, be sure to walk into it with a low level of expectation.

No comments:

Post a Comment