Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Splice - 8 stars out of 10

Splice - 8 stars out of 10

Splice started out as a really unique creature movie. I don't know if a person could watch this without thinking (at least for a few seconds) about how scary genetic engineering really is. A brief comment about Adrien Brody - how has this guy made it in Hollywood with that nose!?!?!? Seriously, watching him kiss someone really made me realize that his nose was not meant for the screen. Though farfetched, the story was fresh and interesting, especially the presentation scene with the shareholders (shocking and awesome). I had heard about the vulgar gore but felt that everything was completely reasonable... until this movie took a turn in the final 1/2-hour. THE TWO SCENES are sickening and disturbing. The scene with Brody made my jaw drop but I managed. I truly struggled not to look away during the scene with Polley and it was absolutely one of the most messed up things that I have seen in my entire life. Not to mention that the ending was infuriating. Still, as disgusted as I was, the shock value of this film is what earned it 4 stars - Splice left an imprint on me and will not soon be forgotten. The majority of this movie is filled with mystery and unique character development (or perhaps evolution is a better word), but once the shocking scenes occur, nothing prior to it matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment